Sunday, November 30, 2008

A grim work

I had a typical day at work today. I love my job, but the paperwork is murder. The amount I have to fill out if I so much as make one mistake is unfathomable. I mean; I do my job, I do my job bloody well and at the end of the day all I have to look forward to is more bloody paperwork. “Unruly conduct” this and “Inappropriate work attire.” I wore shorts once and I had to fill out 3 sheets of A4 with an apology to the head of my office. I may just be one worker ant among many but the way we are treated is ridiculous. No holidays, full stop. The boss says that “There is always work to be done” which is ridiculous. There are hundreds of us in that building and they can’t all be working as much as I am. I work my fingers to the bone protecting the circle of life itself and what do I get in return? Minimal dental cover and £20,000 a year.

I suppose that it is my fault; my chosen career path I mean. I’m the one who took it at uni, I did it in college for a bit of a laugh, we all did, but I’m the only one who stuck it out. I should have listened to my dad. He went down the same route as me, like father like son I suppose, he told me to drop it and go after a career in medicine. Told me that the whole “death” thing was just a fad and that eventually people would just stop, whereas people are sick all the time, even if they don’t die. I should have listened. Come to think of it, work has been thinning out recently and if it stops altogether I am buggered. The only other thing I passed was a demi-godhood in astrophysics. The problem is that the market of space is flooded by thousands of new, fresh workers. They wouldn’t want me. Besides where would a skeleton fit in outer space? I should have never majored in reaping.

No comments: